Sunday 23 October 2011

October in Rome

I might have fallen in love with Rome.

We haven't brought the caravan - this time we decided to cheat and use the big silver cheap Irish bird. (It took two-and-a-half hours. If we'd have been towing we'd be leaving Kent round about now.)
The flight was fine, apart from a poor lady who had what appeared to have been a stroke in the seat in front of us. I really felt for her daughter, her travelling companion. What a way to arrive in a strange city.

Anyway, we jumped a coach from Ciampino airport and were in Rome by lunchtime. We're staying at the IQ Roma hotel, which is a fabulous mix between swanky and budget, with all the right elements from each. There's an automated bar on the roof terrace with reasonably priced beer, wine and hot drinks. It's a lovely place to take a book after a hard day on the tourist trail.

Yesterday afternoon we did a recce. Just enough to find that we'd brought all the wrong clothes and not enough of the right ones, but for all the right reasons. It was sunny and hot. The light is extraordinary.

Highlight of the day was the Palazzo Venezia. Apparently the locals revile this monster of a building. I was agog. It is an incredible edifice. It's a monster. Can't help but admire it. I'd show you a photo but I didn't bring my camera. My wife broght her camera but I can't interface it to my net book. Hey ho.

No comments:

Post a Comment